Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Frogs, frogs everywhere

I seriously think I should just give up knitting and become a yarn collector. I can't seem to get anything right these days. And just when I am actually happy with an item for a change, it all goes to hell. To wit: my Glee sweater from Zephyr style. I have been working on it for a while now, using Classic Elite Wool Bamboo in a really pretty dark brown. I was thrilled with it. My tension was remarkably uniform (for me!) and the stitches looked really pretty. I got to the part where I moved the arms off onto scrap yarn, and I decided to begin working in the round immediately in order to shorten the front opening a bit. Well, in so doing, I missed the part where the pattern directed me to cast on 12 (or was it 14) stitches before joining in the round. When I caught it, I was 7 or 8 rows in to working in the round. I tried to think of a way to ignore it, but the bordering on the front would have been all wonky, as I realized that those extra stitches are needed to accomodate the border. So I put in a life line just above where I started knitting in the round, and then ripped back. And somehow I fouled everything up. Aaaaarrgh!!! I think I must have picked up a few of the lifeline stitches on a different row. I think I'm going to have to pull the lifeline out and try to rip back a couple of rows and even it out and move on from there. But knowing me, with all of those live stitches, I will lose some, screw it all up, and have to start all over again. I should have known it was going too smoothly.

Then there is the issue of the Glutony socks. It is part of the 7 Deadly Spins club. Gorgeous, sproingy yarn in beautiful vivid colors. I was home sick the day it arrived, and I could not get started fast enough. I am about 1/2 way through the leg of sock one. I am not happy. It's beautiful stuff, but all of those color changes and I do not get along apparently. I have gaps in some areas where the colors changed. I have a thousand threads hanging and it is maddening. And then there is the issue of amount of yarn. The pattern was apparently written and tested for someone with small feet- a size 7. The pattern states that you should have "just enough yarn" if you follow the pattern. Well guess what? I have size 9 1/2 to 10 feet. So that "just enough" is going to be far short!!!!! So those are in time out right now.

My son's blanket has been coming along. It has been very, very, very slow going. All that seed stitch is like slogging through quicksand or something. But it sure looks nice. Then again, each row takes about 40 minutes to get through. It's great for mindless knitting, but I have to want to do a lot of mindless knitting to pick it up! Poor kid. He'll be 40 when it's finished. I am using mostly Lily Sugar and Cream cotton for the blanket. Purl expressed concern about colors bleeding when I showed it to her the other day. WHAT? That never occured to me. Yes, I am that much of a moron. I just thought that cotton that is labelled machine wash would be colorfast. OH CRAP. All that work... all that time... my son loving the results thus far.... what do I do now??????? Any and all suggestions and input would be welcome!

So, I sit here today feeling defeated in the knitting department. But I am good at collecting yarn! Maybe I'll take that up as a hobby. Oh, wait, I already have!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to being a knitter! It's all about frogging and yarn collecting.

My gluttony socks went into time ou last night--the heel looked horrible because I always pick up more stitches than the pattern called for. Well, I don't want a baggy heel!

Helen Knits said...

Please don't stress Cindy. When you find knitting frustrating you need to take a break. Pull out a couple of your favourite knitting books/magazines and a glass or two of your favourite wine and take a break from your knitting. Not that I am in any way qualified to give advice but it works for me:)

We are all yarn collectors, it gives us pleasure so please don't let that worry you. As long as we don't break our bank account doing it it's fine.

I know someone else that's had problems with Glee so much so that she gave up on it and used the yarn for something else. To pick up stitches use a needle a couple of sizes smaller then you have been and that should make it easier to pick up the live stitches.

Your son's blanket should be fine if you wash it in cold water only. If you decide to knit another blanket try using a wool/cotton or wool/alpaca mix.

I hope you don't mind me giving you suggestions.