Sunday, November 11, 2007

My Clappy is a Goner

In my never-ending world of frogging, I have a new victim-- my Clappy. I am on the 8th repeat in the third section (where you begin the drops) and have completely screwed things up somehow. And truth be told, I wasn't feeling the love for the thing anyway. I have been using Malabrigo worsted in Amorosa. It's gorgeous stuff, and beautiful to work with. However, I have been finding the semi-solid color a bit monotonous. And it is HEAVY. Then there is the issue of the yarn sticking, making the drops practically impossible. Each time I had to drop a stitch, I would literally have to rip the stitch all the way down by hand. I have decided that the current screwup debacle is a sign that I should just frog the thing and use the yarn for something more suited for it. I will probably do a sweater, as the yarn is just gorgeous. So now I'm on the hunt for more Clappy yarn. I'll probably just go the traditional route and use Loran's Lion and Lamb... we'll see.

In Chevron news, I am close to 1/2 way on my own Chevron. While we were traveling, my mother oogled my scarf and asked me to make her one. That was all I needed to hear to prompt me to make a purchase from Woolgirl while on vacation in Maui!!! Is there a 12-step program for Woolgirl addiction? If so, I need to join. I ended up buying Zen String Parfait and a Miss Babs that looks something like this (although not exactly this one). I began working on it and LOVE it. My mom is going to go bezerk when she sees it. I actually like it better than mine!

I'm still looking for the perfect sock pattern for my mom's socks. It's difficult for me because I only do socks on circs, and it seems that patterns are somewhat limited for circs. And for the life of me, I can't figure out how to translate a dpn pattern to circs.

In other news, my dear, dear, dear friend Purl passed the Texas Bar!!!! WOO HOO!! Way to go Purl! I'm so happy for you. I know first hand how relieved you are, and I really couldn't be more excited about the news. Purl called me in Maui to tell me the news, and I started screaming to everyone at the hotel pool that my friend had passed the Bar! I'm not sure that the elderly couple from Florida really cared (sorry, Purl!), but I was truly being a spazz. My mom, dad, hubby and I all had a celebratory drink in Purl's honor. I think the elderly Florida couple had a drink in order to drown me out. :-)

Purl has also been kind enough to babysit our kitten Rainy during our vacation. Rainy has spent countless hours with Purl and her hubby, generally terrorizing them! He has found his favorite spot on earth in their dishwasher, has developed a fondness for Socks that Rock, gone AWOL (inducing panic in the babysitters!) while hiding on a bookshelf, committed to leaping out from behind doors in an attempt to scare said babysitters...

This morning we had a real treat. We met my college friends Becky and Dean and finally met their new daughter Paisley. Becky was a pledge sister of mine and was my closest friend in college. Dean was her boyfriend throughout college, and put up with more than his fair share of antics, trouble and turmoil with me and Becky! Becky is responsible for my knitting today. About 14 months ago, I mentioned to her while we were visiting them in Dallas that I really wanted to learn to knit. She hooked me up with the person who taught me to knit and purl. This morning, Becky, Dean and Paisley met us for breakfast while driving through Houston. It was amazing to see Paisley. She is the most precious little girl. Like our Sarah, Paisley is from Hunan, China. While the girls are 3 years apart in age, they share the same birthday of October 28. Paisley is obviously a happy girl. And so observant-- she never stopped soaking it all in. What a cute family the three of them make! It was a great morning!!!

I guess that wraps things up for now. More to come later, with pictures of Chevron progress!

5 comments:

joan said...

Hope you received the sock pattern I sent to you. It works great for 2 circulars. You just divide the top in half and when you reach the foot and instep there is no heel flap to deal with. Glad to help with any questions.

Unknown said...

Wow! Thanks for having a long distance celebration for me! Now we have to celebrate together!

And I'm sorry about the clappy, but it sounds like it wasn't meant to be. You might want to try Artyarns supermerino or some sock yarn.

I'm so happy that you finally met Paisley.

And we'll take care of Rainy anytime. I'm going to miss the little monster.

Lisa said...

Welcome back "home". If Purl can't baby sit, I bet we can be convinced.....

I'll email you some patterns taht I use on circulars and like Joan said, I'll be happy to help....

Now about Purl's celebration....what time was that?

Anonymous said...

It was great seeing you guys - Paisley sure was taking in everything Sarah did - lol. Sorry to hear about the clappy - may the yarn find a perfect project!

Helen Knits said...

Hi Cindy, sounds like you had a great time in Maui it brought back wonderful memories when Kim and I went there and other Hawaiian Islands for our honeymoon. Gorgeous place!
It's quiet easy to adapt a sock pattern to knit on circulars, all you need is a stitch marker so that you know where you start end.

Give it a try with just a simple pattern first and you will see what I mean. If you get stuck just email me, I am no expert but I can try and help. There is also a great site called Socknitters where you can get lots of help from here's the link http://www.socknitters.com/directory.htm
Can't wait to see the photo's of your Chevron scarf.