Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A new blanket

I cast on last night for a baby blanket. Some dear friends of ours are having their first baby (a girl) in November. The last baby blankie I did was a thick, cushy one-- I used two strands of Dream Baby held together throughout the blanket. It is super soft and warm. But too warm for Houston. That one was made for my godson in Canada. For the new one, I wanted to do something a little more delicate for a girl. The trouble is, I haven't ventured in lace work yet, and YO's drive me batty. Doing a whole blanket with YO's involved would certainly mean a lot of ripping out!! So, while I was trying to decide what to do for the blanket, I did a swatch with the yarn I got. It's another Dream Baby yarn (I don't love the synthetic fiber, but it is soft and is machine washable/dryable which is a must for baby wear in my book!) and this yarn is a pretty light pink with blue, yellow and other speckles in it. While I was doing the swatch, I just liked the simplicity of the swatch itself. It was just a couple of garter stitch rows and then a few stockinette rows. I decided that I would do that very simple pattern for the blanket, so I cast on about 98 stitches, and I'm going to do about 25 rows in garter stitch (it will be about two inches or so) for the top border, then do 15 or so garter stitches at the beginning and end of each row with stockinette elsewhere on the row. It will be very basic, but I think it will be nice for a Houston girl. What do you think? Too basic? Too boring? Thoughts??? They are greatly appreciated, you know!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There's nothing wrong with a simple blankie--the point is to be cozy and comfy. I have lots of blankie patterns, if you want to borrow them, but I can't think of anything that simple.

Anonymous said...

I think it sounds very pretty, and if I were having a baby I would love it!

Another way is to knit it like a huge dishcloth on the diagonal , start with three stitches, increase until you have the width using yarn overs ,and then decrease until 3 stitches, you can even thread a ribbon through the yarn overs.

Cindy said...

Oooh-- I like that idea, Anonymous! The ribbon would be really pretty. And very girl-y! Thanks!