Monday, September 10, 2007

Fall into Autumn Question of the Week

The Fall into Autumn Swap has a "topic of the week"-- this week's topic/question is:

Now that in some geographic locations the weather is starting to turn cooler, do you change the type of yarn(s) you knit/crochet with? If so, what do you now knit/crochet with instead and why? If not, why do you not switch and what do you knit/crochet with?

My answer:

This is the first Fall that I have really had a chance to even think about this. I began knitting late last summer, and didn't know what I was doing this time last year, so I was just using whatever yarn I had on hand! If and when it gets cooler here in Houston, I will turn to more wool projects. It is usually warm here through the middle of November.

Through the summer, I was using a lot of cottons, silks and bamboo yarns. Houston is so hot and humid in the summer (and fall, for that matter!) that I just can't bear the thought of working with something hot or big and bulky! I really want to make a couple of sweaters this Fall, and I will probably use some nice merino or cashmere blends for those.

I took a class at my LYS yesterday, and I looked for the
Knitting Pure and Simple Drop Shoulder Crewneck pattern. I am dying to make that. It seems like a nice, basic sweater to try for my first one. Unfortunately, the store didn't have that pattern. But they did have this one, so impetuous me bought it! I got some Cascade merino in a beautiful dark navy color and cast on last night. I will just have to do the crewneck as my second sweater!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thumbing through blogs on the fall into autumn swap page and just wanted to say hi, I love getting to meet fellow knitters and have way too much time on my hands! Have fun with the swap!

Cindy said...

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have fun with the swap too. I'm with you--- half of the fun of swaps is getting to meet other knitters.

Anonymous said...

Those both are very nice sweaters to make for the first time. I made my first sweater, wore it once and have not worn it since. So don't spend too much money on it. As you go along you will get better and look back at all your mistakes. Even though no one else will notice them.